What are the Primary Responsibilities of the School Council?
The school council will advise the school principal and, where appropriate, the trustees and school board on identified school issues including, but not limited to:
- curriculum goals and priorities
- development, implementation and review of Board policies
- equity issues affecting students and parents
- extra-curricular activites
- local code of student behaviour
- school-community communication strategies
- local-school year calendar
- reporting to parents and the community
- selection of principals and vice-principals
- school based services and community partnerships
(child care, social, health, recreation, nutrition)
- school planning commitees (e.g., safety, budget, curriculum).
- other items determined by school council
What is the Role of the Chair/Co-Chair
The chair/co-chair provides leadership and accountability to the school council. The chair acts as the democratic guide leading the school council in their chosen direction. The chair / co-chair is elected by the school council members.
(The above is from TDSB's Parent Community Student Involvement Handbook E1-3/4)